countdown

Thursday, April 12, 2012

More of my arthritis journey

So the Humira just plain didn't work for me. In fact, it thinned my blood, possibly gave me severe muscle contractions (particularly in my chest, I would've gone to the hospital if I didn't know what else to look for in a heart attack), oh ya and it HURT LIKE HELL. I looked it up online, I'm not the only one. Many people report not getting the full dose because they can't keep it in their leg the whole time, many other have panic attacks (I was getting there, myself).

I started Simponi last night. It took me forever to remember that you have to push the pen down to your leg for the needle to release, in fact I lost one of my free samples because I tainted the needle. Anyway, I sat there holding if for 5 minutes before I could convince myself to push the button.

I'll admit, the pen is not filled with sunshine and happiness... although compared to Humira it kind of is... I barely felt the thing, and let me tell you, I am a wuss. It went in slowly, and Simponi has a mechanism that clicks when the medicine is done so you know to pull it out. I think I need to be careful, though, to keep the thing pressed down a bit more because some of the medicine beaded out of my leg as soon as I finished. I also bled a lot (I used to have the thickest blood ever, so thick that my doctor told me I had to drink more water to keep me from having heart problems, so thin blood is weird to me). It's still going to take some getting used to, but I am happy that I have this as an option to try.

Here's to hoping this is my "magic combo!"

Random fact: Did you know that 60% of people with arthritis are under 65?

No comments:

Post a Comment